There are a variety of different volunteer opportunities with our organization, including:
- Administrative Support – These duties could include but are not limited to typing, filing, mail-outs, event sign in, and other general office support.
- Ombudsman Volunteer Positions:
- Senior Center Volunteers – There are a wide array of volunteer opportunities at our Senior Centers.
- Senior Medicare Patrol (SMP) – Volunteers use their time and experience to help people protect their identity, read their Medicare Summary Notices, and avoid getting taken by scammers. They are trained to work one-on-one with beneficiaries, give presentations to groups, and represent the SMP at events. Click here to learn more about volunteering with this program.
- SenioRx – We have a variety of volunteer opportunities to offer interested citizens of all ages that wish to serve the community. Our greatest need is for volunteers to help get the word out in their communities. This is done by putting flyers in stores or passing out flyers at community/town events. Click here to learn more about the SenioRx Program.
- SHIP – Medicare beneficiaries frequently have questions about benefits, claims, supplement policies, and long-term care insurance. Volunteer counselors, trained in areas of health insurance coverage and benefits that affect Medicare beneficiaries, provide information and assistance for dealing with claims and evaluating health insurance needs. Our volunteer counselors do not provide legal advice, sell, recommend, or endorse any specific insurance product, agent, insurance company, Health Maintenance Organization (HMO), Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) or Private Fee-for-Service (PFFS) plan. They provide free information and assistance so that clients can make their own decisions. Click here to learn more about the SHIP Program.
- Special Events:
- MayDay Senior Celebration – This is an event that brings senior adults, service providers, entertainment, and lunch into one large setting. Volunteers can volunteer to stuff goody bags, decorate, assist with meals, direct traffic, and/or help with unloading of the vehicles. Click here for more information about MayDay.
- Masters Games of Alabama – This is an Olympic style competition for Alabama residents over the age of 50. Volunteers are needed to assist with meal service, facility set-up, score keeping, and timing of running and swimming events. Click here to learn more about Masters Games of Alabama.
- Businesses/Churches/Nonprofit Organizations – Assist with making homes accessible (i.e. ramps, widening doorways, or adding fixtures, etc.) for Seniors and disabled individuals to enable them to stay in their homes rather than in long-term care facilities. Additionally, assistance needed with picking up and assembling furniture for individuals moving from long-term care facilities back into their homes and communities.